ready for work.
All of our socks have always been and will always be, made in the USA.
The Railroad Sock Inc. is one of America's oldest sock companies.
In 1896, William G. Leininger partnered with his cousin George H. Leininger to start a hosiery mill in Mohnton, Pennsylvania (near Reading–home of Reading Railroad). The business became so successful that both men agreed to dissolve the business after two and a half years. The plan allowed both men to continue business independently and each established their own mills in Mohnton PA. William G. Leininger Hosiery Mills started production of Men's half hose in 1898 and partnered with New York City sales agents. The Railroad Sock name first appeared in advertisements in 1901.
William G. Leininger continued operation through three generations into the 1970's at which time ownership transferred to Fritz and Dorris Killian who later sold the business to current owners Dennis and Jan Downing after Fritz's death in 1986. In the early Downing years the business owned 40 knitting machines and made only two men's sock styles. Since that time The Railroad Sock has created a comprehensive sock line. After a very successful 36 year run, Dennis and Jan sold the business to Amanda Kunkel Beech and her brother Charles Kunkel. With Amanda at the helm, they are keeping the emphasis on family-run, high quality, durability and American manufacturing.